Wednesday 10 July 2013

The Adventure Starts Now!

Finally, I am committing to publishing a blog about our family's adventures through travel. We love to travel - always have, and always will. I will write more about all of those grand treks but what instigated me to start now, was our most recent of trips. Actually, we are only Day 3 in to this vacation.

I read blogs and peruse the net looking for ideas about traveling. However, I find most people lead care free, easy, fun lives, with kids who are ...well...perfect! Really??? I think my family is pretty great and I think my kids are the best too, but we have some pretty gruesome moments, days, or weeks. These "memorable moments" really stand out when we are on vacation. And, people who say their trips are easy, breezy must not have traveled far, or have not left their back yard!

Presently, we are nestled in the Kootenys at my in-laws cabin, which is quite seculed. It is familiar and comfortable and we usually spend our days down at the lake. This year, however, we have brought out, a "new to us", boat. We were all excited about using it for inner tubing,cruising,  and water skiing. The whole idea of traveling out here, 7 hours, pulling a boat , was a bit daunting. However, Chris had checked over the boat a million times, plus we got AMA, and were basically, very well prepared.


After a long 10 hours of driving, because we had to stop 5 times to check on the boat and what not, we arrived! Chris and I even got the boat backed up in to a tight space, without the marriage completely falling off the rails, or the boat, or Durango, falling off the cliff! We unpacked with enthusiasm! The kids helped! We were full of love and joy about our trip, not to mention, very proud of ourselves.

Then a tree fell on our car!

Yup, the next morning, as the kids headed outside they quickly returned to report that a tree, a rather large tree, was laying on the Durango. Chris and I passed a look across the table. I know we were both thinking,"Of course, this would happen to us. Hopefully, the car is at least driveable!" Thankfully, there was just a dented roof rack. Quite unbelieve to find, after chain sawing away, a 15 meter tall spruce tree which was super heavy!.

That was day one and half. Usually our travels are fun, and we are soon laughing at the misadventures. In the end they are usually the best stuff to share with family and friends.

More about our cabin crusade to come!

"KEEP CALM and TRAVEL ON"


No comments:

Post a Comment